Healthy Mind, Healthy Body: Tips on Staying Healthy When You TravelSeptember 23, 2019
Are you someone who strives to maintain your diet and fitness while traveling? While some travelers embrace a break from their normal routine and indulge in unhealthy foods and ultimate relaxation, more people than ever are interested in eating right and getting in good workouts — even during the busiest of trips. Maintaining good habits is hard enough at home, but even when you’re on the go, it’s easy to avoid common mistakes with these healthy travel tips.
- Wake up early. Nobody wants to jump out of their comfortable hotel bed. But nobody likes rushing in the morning, either. Waking up at least thirty minutes early is one of the best ways to get a healthy start to your day. Take advantage of the hotel gym, go for a run outside (and take in the sights), or simply enjoy a few moments of quiet mindfulness before getting ready at your leisure.
- Don’t skip breakfast. But don’t overdo it, either. While breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day, a typical breakfast is loaded with empty calories. Avoid the bread and pastries and choose high-protein foods, such as eggs, as well as Greek yogurt, oatmeal, berries, and nuts.
- Stay hydrated. How much water should you be drinking every day? Health authorities recommend eight glasses. That’s two liters, or half a gallon. And no matter how far you travel from home, that requirement travels with you. Pack a reusable water bottle and fill up as you go to avoid paying unnecessarily for water bottles.
- Consider portion control. When traveling, you may be eating all three meals in a restaurant. Restaurant-sized portions are likely to have far more calories than meals you’d prepare at home. Follow the tips above for breakfast. Then, decide whether you want to make lunch or dinner your primary meal. Stay on the lighter side for one by ordering a salad or appetizer, then allow yourself to go all-out for the other. Everyone deserves to indulge while traveling, after all.
- Don’t sleep on the hotel amenities and services. The wellness programs from Hard Rock Hotels cannot be matched. Sound Body™ takes a holistic approach to healthy living with music as its core. The serenity of yoga and the energy of music come together through our Rock Om® program, while you can retune yourself at Rock Spa®. Or sweat to the beat at Body Rock®, where a cutting-edge workout on Technogym equipment awaits just steps from your room.
Ready to put these healthy travel tips to the test?
Head to Hard Rock Hotels to find the best available rates on our hotels, resorts, and casinos around the world.